Getting into your Genes

One of the most exciting things to happen in healthcare during the last few years is the availability of personal genetic data which allows us to identify individual traits and tendencies that can form the foundation of personal health protocols. I don’t know about you, but I grew up believing that your genes are set in stone – an unchanging blueprint that makes you what you are. In fact, only 2% of our genes are fixed in their behaviour; the other 98% can be switched on and off by environmental factors like your diet and environment.

You may already be aware to the importance of genes for cancer; the BRCA1 and 2 gene mutations, for example, are inherited ‘polymorphisms’ that increase the risk for hormonal cancers. Unfortunately, researchers haven’t yet found a way to mend the BRCA gene or to mitigate the damage it causes, but there are many studies underway and surgical intervention may help.

There are other non-inherited mutations that are of interest to cancer researchers. They arise from DNA damage and which are clearly linked to an increase in cancer. When damage happens to tumour suppressor genes, or cancer promoting ‘oncogenes’ the likelihood of the damaged cell becoming a tumour increases. The P53 gene is the most ‘famous’ of these and is the most frequently mutated gene in cancers. There is evidence that some of these damaged genes may be coaxed into behaving themselves again with diet and lifestyle changes.

Then there is a third type of mutation, also inherited, that is of interest to researchers because they are clearly and easily influenced by diet and lifestyle changes. The study of these gene variants has led to a new field of nutritional therapy called ‘nutrigenomics’: the study of how molecules in the diet influences key health pathways. I because a specialist nutrigenetic counsellor in 2015 and I have found striking correlations in my practice, especially for women with no obvious risk factors for breast cancer who just can’t work out why it happened to them.

If you are a candidate for nutrigenetic testing we will discuss it in our consultation. You can order and pay for the relevant tests below:

Nutrigenetic Essentials – Oestrogen Positive Diagnosis

£275.00

Nutrigenetic Essentials – Hormone Negative Breast Cancer

This panel covers nutrigenetic SNPs associated with HER2 positive and Triple Negative Breast cancer.

£275.00

All Bases Covered – Comprehensive Coverage of Breast Cancer Related SNPs

Covers all of the SNPs mentioned above plus SNPs for detoxification and pharmacology. Ideal for patients with advanced cancer.

£525.00

If you would like to take advantage of this service but haven’t yet booked an appointment please take a look at my clinic options.