“And the darkest hour is just before dawn.” – The Mamas and The Papas
As one of the UK’s leading nutritional therapists, and a 22 year survivor of Grade 3, Stage 3, receptor negative breast cancer, my work is based on persistent study, ongoing research and extensive personal and clinical experience. I graduated with distinction from ION in 2004, became an accredited Life Coach in 2009, gained a Postgraduate Certificate in 2017 (with a ‘first’ for my research assignment on breast cancer).
I love what I do, particularly the way my work brings me into contact with so many strong-minded and inspiring individuals with a huge appetite for life. I regularly receive referrals from GPs, oncologists and fellow practitioners, and I’m frequently invited as an expert speaker on breast cancer to professional audiences.
In the 22 years since my diagnosis supporting evidence for a nutrition and lifestyle approach for breast cancer has become compelling, but it is taking a long time to get that vital information into NHS oncology departments and cancer patients haven’t got time to wait. My goal is to bridge the information gap.
The 1939 Cancer Act states that cancer treatment and advice about treatment can only be provided by qualified medical professionals, and rightly so. Sadly, the current medical system is not doing enough to inform people about the potential for integrated protocols to improve outcomes. Complementary care can work synergistically with treatment get the best possible outcomes. My focus is not only on physiological balance but also on supporting you through the psychological aspects of dealing with a difficult diagnosis, and to take more effective care of yourself in the future than you have in the past.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Personalised Nutrition – Middlesex University/CNELM – 2017
- BANT Registered Nutrigenetic Counsellor – 2017
- Institute for Functional Medicine: Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice – 2017
- ION Short Course: Cancer Nutritional Support before, during and after treatment and beyond – 2015
- Dip. ION (Distinction) Nutritional Therapy – Institute for Optimum Nutrition
- Certified Professional Coach – International Coach Academy – 2012
- BSc (Hons) Management Sciences – UMIST
- 22 year survivor (drug free) of Grade 3, Stage 3, receptor negative breast cancer – underwent lumpectomy, axillary clearance, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
- Nutritionally managed complete remission of Proliferative Verrucous Leukoplakia diagnosed in 2006, without medication or surgery.
- Sixteen years clinical experience working with cancer patients – exclusively since 2016.
- NTCC – Registered with the Nutritional Therapy Council
- BANT – Member of the British Association for Nutritional Therapists
- CNHC – Member of the Complementary and Natural HealthCare Council
As well as writing two blogs, I’ve also published a charity cook book and a ketogenic diet book, The Dissident Diet, which was in the Amazon diet bestseller list for much of 2014. When I’m not writing, you’ll find me in the kitchen cooking for friends and family, in the garden getting muddy, or with my head stuck in a book or research paper learning as much as I can about cancer and longevity.
“Dawn, I found our meetings inspirational and full of hope. I came to you following a diagnosis of significant breast cancer with spread to the lymph nodes, and felt that your own experience coupled with your sense of compassion and empathy helped me enormously. You are able to take a view of the whole person rather than a collection of symptoms and I came away feeling that I could do many things to help promote a positive outcome.” Frances, Tunbridge Wells